Minoxidil powder (38304-91-5) video
Minoxidil powder (38304-91-5) Specifications
|Product Name||Minoxidil powder|
|Chemical Name||▪ minoxidil
|Drug Class||Beauty peptide for hair growth|
|Monoisotopic Mass||209.25 g/mol|
|Melting Point||272-274 °C (dec.)(lit.)|
|Biological Half-Life||4.2 hour|
|Color||White Crystalline powder|
|Solubility||Slightly soluble in water, soluble in methanol and in propylene glycol. Soluble in water (2.2 mg/ml), 100% ethanol (29 mg/ml), propylene glycol, acetone, DMSO (6.5 mg/ml), and methanol.|
|Storage Temperature||Store at RT|
|Application||▪ Used as an antihypertensive and antialopecia agent. Minoxidil activates ATP-activated K+ channels
▪ Antihypertensive, antialopecia agent
▪ A selective ATP dependent K+ (Kir6) channel activator
What is Minoxidil?
Minoxidil was the first drug approved by the FDA for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (hair loss). Before that, minoxidil had been used as vasodilator drug prescribed as oral tablet to treat high blood pressure, with side effects that included hair growth and reversal of male baldness.Since the 1990s, numerous generic forms of minoxidil have become available to treat hair loss while the oral form is still used to treat high blood pressure.
Minoxidil is a vasodilator medication known for its ability to slow or stop hair loss and promote hair regrowth. It is available over the counter for treatment of androgenic alopecia, among other baldness treatments, but measurable changes disappear within months after discontinuation of treatment. Its effectiveness has largely been demonstrated in younger men (18 to 41 years of age), the younger the better.
Minoxidil is a potassium channel agonist. It contains the chemical structure of nitric oxide), a blood vessel dilator, and may be a nitric oxide agonist. This appears to explain its vasodilatory effects, but may also be linked to minoxidil’s ability to stimulate hair growth and treat hair loss. Since minoxidil is a nitric oxide-related compound, it was suspected to act via activation of guanylate cyclase, an enzyme involved in vasodilation.
Minoxidil for hair
- Minoxidil needs to be applied once or twice daily for hair to be maintained.
- For maximum effect, the solution should be in contact with the scalp for hours before being washed out. It does not seem capable of reducing DHT or the enzyme responsible for its accumulation around the hair follicle, 5-aliha reductase, which are the main causes of male pattern baldness in genetically susceptible individuals. Therefore, when treatment is stopped, the DHT already accumlated around the follicle has its expected effect, and the follicle usually shrinks again and eventually dies.
- Minoxidil powder can promote hair regrowth,slow or stop hair loss and treat high blood pressure.
Minoxidil powder uses
(1). Minoxidil powder promote hair regrowth.
(2). Minoxidil powder slow or stop hair loss.
(3). Minoxidil powder treat high blood pressure.
- 5% Minoxidil: treatment for female pattern hair loss. Gupta AK et al. Skin Therapy Lett. (2014)
- Minoxidil in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia. Goren A et al. Dermatol Ther. (2018)
- Minoxidil use in dermatology, side effects and recent patents. Rossi A et al. Recent Pat Inflamm Allergy Drug Discov. (2012)
PRECAUTION AND DISCLAIMER:
This Material is Sold For Research Use Only. Terms of Sale Apply. Not for Human Consumption, nor Medical, Veterinary, or Household Uses.